They say that you can learn something new each and every day. I guess today I learned that it is National Hot Dog Day. A big thanks to the people at the Huffington Post wo are commemorating this new holiday with a compilation of the most expensive hot dogs that they could find. The full slide show gives you everything from the people who make them, how they are made and the finished “masterpieces.” Californians can be proud that Capitol Dawg made the list and is still the official Guiness World record holder for the most expensive “dawg” for now. Apparently “club goers” in NYC may be spending more than they expected on post party bites with a new hot dog that boasts a price tag of $2300. (That’s more than the bottle service) For those who have celebrity taste and a sense of adventure, forgo the steak dinner and try some fancy “street meat” for probably the same price.
Here’s a list of the most expensive hot dogs, courtesy of the Huffington Post:
6. Serendipity 3’s $69 “Haute Dog”. Well-known publicity-loving NYC restaurant Serendipity 3 made a splash in 2010 with their $69 “Haute” Dog (see what they did there?): a foot-long, truffle-spiked monster on a truffle-buttered pretzel roll, topped with foie gras.
5. TheBrocktonRox’s $80 “K-O Dog”.Brockton,Massachusetts’ baseball team, The Brockton Rox, tried to steal the World Record with their $80 K-O Dog in 2011. This pricey dog is a foot-long behemoth rubbed with truffle oil, rolled in porcini dust, topped with creme fraiche and more truffles (we hope you like truffles if you’re buying any of these — expensive hot dogs are swimming in the stuff).
4.Vancouver’s DougieDog Hot Dogs released the $100 Dragon Dog earlier this year. This dog starts with a bratwurst soaked in century-old Louis the 13th cognac, which costs more than $2,000 a bottle. Then, for good measure, they throw on truffledKobebeef, lobster and secret sauce.
3. Capitol Dawg’s $149.49 “CaliforniaCapitolCityDawg”.Sacramentohot dog stand, Capitol Dawg, currently holds the official Guinness World Record for most expensive hot dog, at $145.49. The California Capitol City Dawg is an 18 inch, 3/4 pound all-beef frank, topped with (among many other things) applewood smoked bacon, Swedish moose cheese (costing $200 USD a pound!) and a basil olive oil/cranberry-pear-coconut balsamic vinaigrette. It is served on a custom-made herb focaccia roll toasted in (what else?) white truffle butter.
2. Hot Dog Mike’s $1501 “ONEDog”. Next up: Hot Dog Mike’s ONEDog costs $1501. $1500 of which gets donated to a localLittle Rock,Arkansashomeless charity (he’s only keeping $1 in profit on this frank!). What goes into one of the world’s most expensive hot dogs? Well, a quarter pound all-beef hot dog, topped with lobster tail, saffron aioli and gold flakes.
1. 230 FIFTH’s $2300 “230 FIFTH Dog”. And now, a hot dog so expensive, so new, that photos do not even exist yet. NYC nightclub 230 FIFTH partnered with local hunger-fighting charity CityHarvest to create the 230 FIFTH Dog. At $2300, it is definitely the most expensive hot dog in the world. The 60-day dry-aged wag yu dog is laced with (duh) black truffles and nestled in a (we GET IT) white-truffle-buttered brioche bun. Among many other fancy, expensive condiments, this monster gets topped with Vidalia onions caramelized in Dom PerignonChampagne, house-made organic sauerkraut braised in Louis Roederer Cristal and platinum oscetra caviar. And don’t worry, they also didn’t forget the gold leaf.
For the full article, please visit the Huffington Post: www.huffingtonpost.com
Photo credit – zperlow (Flickr)