The featured video recipe for today is the Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip from Chef John (Food Wishes).
We picked this recipe, apart from so many other similar recipes of its kind, for its uniqueness: mayonnaise and sour cream have been removed from the ingredient list!
According to Chef John:
“For the first time ever, sour cream and mayonnaise have been removed from a dip recipe . . . and it got better. I’ve always enjoyed hot spinach artichoke dip, but it always struck me as a little oily. Almost all recipes call for some amount of mayo, which I really see no reason to include. It adds fat with no significant flavor payoff.
I decided to try a mayo-less version, and then raised the stakes even higher by excluding the sour cream as well. To counter this, a bit more cheese was added, and the results were amazing. A rich, creamy, cheesy, not greasy dip.”
Normally sour cream and mayonnaise are used on recipes dips, but in this recipe there will be none. This is definitely one of the firsts in culinary history.
Watch the video below and see Chef John in action.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion, white and light green parts only
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- 1 package (10 ounce) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, squeezed dry
- 1 can (14 ounce) artichoke hearts, drained, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- very small pinch of nutmeg
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, preferably Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/4 cup mozzarella, shredded
[This recipe is served courtesy of Food Wishes via the Her Channel network]