Anna Bini and Cristina Pagliarini both work as private chefs for the luxury villa company Tuscany Now. Here is one of their favorite recipes to start you off exploring authentic Tuscan flavors, ingredients and cooking methods.
Braised Beef in Apple Sauce
- 1.2 kg of beef (choose a cut with some fat, the meat shouldn’t be too lean for this dish)
- 3 red onions
- 3 green apples
- 50 grams of butter
- 50 grams of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 glasses white wine
- 2 beef stock cubes
- Cut the onions and the apples into thin slices.
- In a casserole dish put the butter and olive oil then add the sliced apples and onions, the stock cubes and the beef.
- Add the white wine, cover the pot and cook over a low flame.
- Cook slowly until the meat is done, checking that the meat doesn’t stick to the pan. You may need to keep adding a little more wine along the way if the meat is getting too dry. (You can use a pressure cooker as alternative to the casserole. It will take less time for the meat to cook -around 70 minutes – you don’t need to add extra wine in this case as the meant won’t get dry)
- When the meat is done remove the lid and turn on a high flame to allow any remaining liquid to evaporate.
- Once all the liquid has evaporated turn the beef, browning all its sides. Every time the beef starts to stick to the saucepan, steam with white wine and turn. Repeat this operation at least 2 or 3 times.
- During the cooking process the onions and apples become a brown and dense puree sauce.
- Serve the meat thickly sliced with the sauce on top. Top tip: Excellent served on grilled polenta slices.